Saturday, January 14, 2012

Making

Making these things in the kitchen right now!  winter in Minnesota means cold and dry.  This homemade lip balm is the perfect cure.  I found the tutorial and recipe here you'll need to scroll to the bottom of her post if you want to give it a try.  I found the containers at JoAnn fabrics in the beading section                                                 
 I've been having fun in the kitchen with this culinary adventure, It thrills me every time I make it and it turns out... Homemade yogurt! I love the taste of this stuff! only wish I were making it with raw milk. I found the recipe here
 and finally this stuff that my family and their friends can't seem to get enough of,  Granola.  I'm still tweaking the recipe and trying to make it a bit healthier  but as of now here is the recipe
Granola
6 cups rolled oats ( not the instant )
4 cups nuts~ what ever kind you like or have on hand I use almonds pecans walnut most often
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut~ I use the unsweetened kind that you can find in the health food section.
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 Tbls Ground flax seeds ~ note, you must grind your flax seeds to make them nutritionally beneficial to you other wise they just slip threw your system unused.
MIX THESE INGREDIENTS IN A LARGE BOWL
In a small sauce pan gently heat 
1/2 cup + 2 Tbls of honey
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 Tsp sea salt
when heated and oil is melted then pour over oat mixture and mix
dump out onto two large cookie sheets
and bake at 250* for about one and a half hours  mixing often
when mixture is finished baking mix in 2 cups dried fruit  ( what ever you like )
Store in an air tight container  and enjoy!!
 

No comments: