Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Growing

Minnesota in the winter  gets to be a pretty bland place. Usually it's just white snow
this year however its just brown, brown, brown. hardly any snow
 It's times like this  that I'm especially thankful for the growing that's going on in my home.
African Violets~ this is the very first African violet that I've been able to keep alive let alone have it bloom for me and its done so several times   I picked this one up at Wal Mart 2 years ago and it's bloomed 5 or 6 times and it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
 While Christmas shopping this year I picked up some paper whites,  they have been well  worth the 4.99 that I paid for them.  I put the bulbs in a tall vase with rocks at the bottom and just watered them making sure that the water did not get above the rock line.

 The first week of January I got these guys going, They are Hyacinthia's I picked them up at the grocery store clearance rack. they were 1.00 for a box of 10 bulbs so I picked up 2 boxes.  I looked around the house and found some old candle jars (that I can not bring myself to ever throw out )   and there you have it.  Every single bulb is blooming!
I didn't even put them in dirt I just used the sawdust stuff that they were packaged in to keep them in place and then watered the sawdust stuff .   yeah! now I have color and life in the "dead" of winter.
how about you do you need a little extra color and life in the winter months?

No comments: